Weddings are a grand affair in India. From dreamy themes to extravagant arrangements and mouth-watering feasts to authentic Indian wear; wedding season is the best time of the year. And what's an Indian wedding without jewellery. Let's take a look at some of the top jewellery picks for this season:
* Multi-layered necklaces: Multiple necklaces, multi-strand pieces are definitely a rage. Known as maharani necklaces, these are the perfect blend of tradition, fashion and elegance. For a truly royal look, pair a gold-layered necklace with your lehenga.
* 'Polki' or uncut set: Polki or uncut jewellery is a style statement. These handcrafted gold and diamond sets can be worn together or individually to create a luxe look.
* Gold & pearl 'kundan' set: A timeless metal, gold now gets a contemporary makeover with pearls to create a kundan set perfect for the modern bride. Wear this on a gown for a chic Indo-western look for your wedding.
* Chokers: This trend from the 90s recently made its way back to the runway and brides around the world are incorporating this. Big, bold designs with plenty of bling are ideal.
* 'Maang tikka': Inspired by the royal legacy of the Mughals, maang tikkas are perfect for an ethnic look. These can be worn in many styles, our top picks being the traditional jhoomar style or a more contemporary one-side style. Although they have been traditionally worn in the middle of one's head, break traditions and wear your maang tikka on one side for a look that shapes your face and puts a modern spin on your outfit.
* Big 'nath': There is something alluring about big bridal nose pins and naths. Big and bold bridal naths with floral details are in vogue this season. They give you that royal look that you desired.
* Statement rings: Rings are not just ornaments; they hold great emotional attachment too. Statement rings add more grace to your bare hands. If you are looking for something simple yet elegant, go for diamond embedded rings. Or pick out a ring with a mix of stones and intricate engravings.
* Bejewelled bracelets: A bit of sparkle and bling is just what you need on your wedding day. While most brides prefer wearing bangles, dazzling bracelets fitted with precious stones are trending these days. Pair these with a matching neck piece for a look that's modern and classy at the same time.
* Traditional 'kamarbandh': Kamarbandhs are making waves this season and for all the right reasons. This accessory is worn around the waist and is the perfect embellishment to complete any outfit. Accentuate your lehenga with a multi-chain kamarbandh.
(The author is the CEO Reliance Jewels)